Haywood Fitness: Almost Vegan Cheesy Potatoes Recipe

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Almost Vegan Cheesy Potatoes Recipe

I am not much of a cook. However, I do have a few staple foods that I get the most compliments on and one of them is my cheesy potatoes. Unfortunately my potatoes are not vegetarian or vegan friendly (they include lots of dairy, processed food and cream of chicken soup). So, I went on a quest for a vegan friendly recipe and I fell a little short. I am sharing my vegetarian friendly recipe and my idea of how to make it vegan (I need to try option number two still myself!) Someone out there might have a better idea (if so I would love to hear) but until this I hope you enjoy this recipe!

cottage-potatoes

Vegetarian/Almost Vegan Cheesy Potatoes Recipe

Ingredients:

2 packages of Alexia's Frozen organic hash browns

One bag of "Go Veggie" shredded cheese (you may want to use two bags depending on how cheesy you want them)

1 can "Amy's" Organic Cream of Mushroom soup (the soup contains cream/milk which prevents it from being vegan-however, there are vegan recipes out there if you want to make your own version of mushroom soup without dairy)

1 package Toffuti Sour cream

two cups corn flakes (you can use crackers instead)

a stick of butter (again-prevents it from being vegan but there are butter substitutes out there to use)

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, I layer the ingredients twice in a pan (put hashbrowns down, spread half of the sour cream and mushroom soup on top and then sprinkle with cheese, repeat)

Melt butter and in a large cup I put the corn flakes and melted butter and use a fork to crush and mix them up-the then spread on the top layer

Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes (may be done a little sooner or longer-you will be able to tell when it is bubbly and warm-just keep your eye on the cornflakes so they don't burn!)

One thing I do want to note-a lot of the ingredients that are dairy substitutes contain processed soy (soy protein, soy milk, soy isolate) which isn't a great alternative but if you can't have dairy it isn't too bad of a replacement-I don't think the normal recipe for cheesy potatoes or this recipe are exactly "healthy" :)

I would love to hear your ideas in the comments section on how to modify this recipe in order to make it vegan.

No comments: